Page 01 | Page 02 | Page 03 | Page 04 | Page 05 | Page 06 | Previous | Page 08 |
Next | Page 10 | Page 11 | Back to Articles |

Descendants of Rev Joseph Qualtrough and Agnes McCullock 
- Death of Lydia Qualtrough (Howe Thorburn)

The following is an extract of entry from an investigation into the death of James's wife Lydia, on the 15th May 1898.

"With my Grandparents on the 15th May 1898 at 8 O'clock pm I went to bed. I sleep in bed with my Grandfather in the front bed room. My Grandmother the deceased and my Grandfather the last witness was in the sitting room when I left to go to bed. I saw my Grandfather get up about 7 O'clock the following morning. Shortly afterwards he came into my bedroom and told me that my Grandmother was dead, and for me to get up. I got up and looked at the deceased. She was lying dead in her bed. I am ten years of age.

"Signed Henry Qualtrough."

Statement by William Henry Swanwrick Police Constable Diamond Creek 17th May 1898

About 10 O'clock am on the morning of 16th May 1898 James Qualtrough called to the station and informed me that he had found his wife the deceased dead in bed about three hours previous. I accompanied him to his residence at Watery Gully. I saw the body of the deceased in bed in a room at the back of the house. She was lying on her side with her eyes closed as though asleep. The body was not quite cold and was in a very emancipated condition, the lower part of the leg between the knee and the foot was badly ulcerated, the flesh was rotted away from the bone and the stench from it was very bad. The bandage and clothing about the leg was saturated with a recent discharge of blood partly clotted and apparently from an artery. The deceased appeared to have died peacefully, there were no marks or bruises on the body.

Statement by James Qualtrough

The deceased is my wife. Her age is sixty six and nine months. At 7.30 O'clock 15th May 1896 she went to bed. She slept in a room by herself. At 9.50 pm I retired to bed. Between 12 midnight and 5 O'clock the following morning I heard her coughing. I got up at 7 O'clock am and made the fire. I went into her room and asked if she was asleep. She was in bed at the time. I got no reply. I pulled the bedclothes back and put my hand on her to shake her then found she was dead. The body was warm.

I then went and informed my son and daughter-in-law who reside about a quarter of a mile away. I also informed my daughter Mrs G. Mills (This is Emma Qualtrough) my wife was deceased, and my Grandson Henry Qualtrough and myself were the only persons who slept in the house that night.I went into Diamond Creek and informed Constable Swanwrick of the death that morning about 10 am.

I returned to the house with the constable and I noticed that when he was examining the body that the bandages and the bedding were soaked through with a recent discharge of blood from her bad leg. She had been suffering from an ulcerated leg for the last five years and she has been suffering from diarrhorea for the last five or six weeks. She did not go to see a doctor for either of the complaints although advised by my son to do so,

Statement by Elizabeth Qualtrough

The deceased is my mother-in-law. I last saw her alive on Friday morning the 13th May 1896, I reside about a quarter of a mile away from her residence. On Monday morning the 16th or shortly after 7 O'clock am my father-in-law James Qualtrough came to our house and informed my husband and myself that he had found the deceased dead in bed. I got up and went down to the house. My sister-in-law Mrs Mills was then there, We waited until my father-in-law and the constable arrived before we looked at the body of the deceased. I noticed that her eyes were closed and she lay on her side and that the bandages and part of the bedclothes were saturated with a recent discharge of blood from her bad leg. She had been in a weak state lately, and for the past five or six weeks on and off had been suffering from diarrhorea. She informed me on Friday that the diarrhorea had left her and I advised her to go to the doctor about her leg. She said "No Bessie, if I saw a doctor he would take my leg off. I would sooner die with my leg on." She has been suffering from a bad leg since I have been residing here about one year and six months, She refused to allow anyone to see her leg.

Descendants of Rev Joseph Qualtrough and Agnes McCullock 
- Dr Alexander Qualtrough 1815-1863

Alexander Qualtrough was the third child of Joseph & Agnes. He was baptised in Douglas on the 4 June 1815. He distinguished himself in a career which seems to spread through this large family.

Alexander became a surgeon, possibly attending Edinburgh University in the 1830's. He is mentioned in a Manx directory as a surgeon in Peel in 1843. Later he became a surgeon in Liverpool as it is mentioned on his marriage certificate when he married Margaret Frances (Fanny) Breach in 1850 at Gretna Green, Dumfries, Scotland.

He and Fanny went separately Down Under in the early 1850's; he initially to Adelaide, Australia then transhipping to Melbourne. Alexander arrived in Melbourne on November 9th 1850 on the 'Elizabeth', a schooner of 67 tons. Fanny travelled as Matron on the "Roman Emperor" to Christchurch, New Zealand, and then on to Melbourne, apparently meeting up with her husband there.

In April 1951 his medical qualifications were recognised by the Government of NSW and Victoria.

He advertised extensively in the Argus in in 1851 as being a Member of the Royal College of Surgeons of England, and Licentiate of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, giving his address as Kent and Essex Cottage, Little Bourke-street, West.

In 1855 it was announced in a Manx newspaper of the day, that: Alex QUALTROUGH Surgeon, second son of Rev. Joseph Qualtrough Vicar of Lonan (was) appointed Health Officer in Melbourne. (ref dated Oct 31 1855 -from IOMFHS Journal August 2003)

In December 1852 The Argus publishes a sanitary "report of the state of Bourke Ward," Melbourne, prepared by two surgeons, Mr. Qualtrough and Mr. Watkins, deputed for the purpose by the Medical Association of Melbourne. The report is too long to copy, but it gives a most disgusting picture of the reeking filthiness in which many of the small lanes and rights of way in that ward are allowed to remain, all of them being densely inhabited.

On Tuesday 29 January 1856 the positon of the Health Officer was debated by the Melbourne City Council. It appears that he was promised the job of Medical Inspector for the City but this position was not supported by the Board of Health. He was eventually given $50 compensation after several debates for non-appointment.

On 6 Nov 1856 a notice appeared in the Melbourne Age signed by Alexander that all his estate and effects had been assigned to the City of Melbourne for the general benefit of his creditors.

In 1857 Alexander resigned from the Honory Position of surgeon to the Beneveolent Asylum.

In March 1861 Alexander Qualtrough, Esq., surgeon, was appointed to be the public vaccinator for the district of Avenel.

Alexander eventually died in Avenel, central Victoria, Australia, aged 48 years.

Fanny appeared not to live with her husband, but died in Melbourne just a few weeks after her husband.

Her death certificate states that she died in a Melbourne hospital 2 months later - 24 April 1863. and is described as widow of the late Dr Qualtrough, Fanny was born in Birkenhead, Lancashire, England and was 35 when she died. She is not buried with her husband, but in the New Cemetery, Melbourne. There were no children.

Alexander died in Avenel, central Victoria aged 48 years. Alexander's death certificate says he was a surgeon and that his cause of death was emaniation and debility!!

The certificate also indicates Alexander had been in Victoria for over 10 years.

In the book - Shire of McIvor by J.O. Randell, there is mention of a Doctor Qualtrough being one of the first doctors at the Heathcote (Victoria) Hospital which was opened in 1859

Descendants of Rev Joseph Qualtrough and Agnes McCullock 
- William Qualtrough 1818-1883

James Qualtrough's brother William also came to Victoria and it is believed he originally settled at Cowie near Geelong. The following are extracts into what we believe was his death at Wahring, near Nagambie, in 1883.

The Magisterial Enquiry into the cause of death of William Qualtrough held at Wahring by John Morrissy Esq. a Justice of the Peace in and for the Central Bailiwick of the Colony of Victoria on 20th December 1883.

Witnesses: Thomas Ready, Robert Bookes, Dr. W.J. Ray, Nagambie December 24th 1883.

William Joseph Richard Ray being duly sworn saith I am a duly qualified medical practitioner residing at Seymour. I have this day made a Post Mortem Examination of the body of William Qualtrough. There were no external marks of violence upon the body. On opening the body I found that his heart was far advanced in fatty degeneration. The kidneys were much diseased being afflicted with Granular Hepatitis(?). The liver was also diseased and the right lung engorged. The stomach was of normal appearance but healthy. I am of the opinion that the cause of death was Syncope(?) the result of the diseased condition of the heart and that the deceased died from natural causes.

Thomas Ready duly sworn saith as follows.

I am a farmer residing at Wahring. I have known the deceased whose name is William Qualtrough for a number of years. He was working for Mr Jerrimiah Breen,(?) farmer, who resides at Tatura for about nine months as shepherd. The hut the deceased was living in is a little over half a mile from my residence. He came to my place every day for milk and water. I last saw him alive about 2pm on last Sunday at my place. When he left for his hut he was living. As the deceased did not come to my place as usual I thought that there was something the matter with him as he looked delicate. I went to his hut yesterday at 8 am, and went to the place that he slept in. I found the deceased lying across the bed on his side with his clothes on. I called him but got no answer. I moved him and found that he was dead. 1 then reported the matter to the police at Nagambie. The deceased informed me prior to his death that he had a brother residing at Diamond Creek.

Robert Bookes, on his oath saith as follows,

I am a licensed publican residing at Wahring. I have seen the dead body of a man whose name I do not know which I recognised as the man that was at my hotel about a week ago. I last saw him at my hotel on Sunday. He asked for drink and said that he felt very bad. I would not give him any spirits but gave him two glasses of soda water and milk which he drank. He then got a box of sardines and a small loaf of bread, and then left. This was about 10 am on Sunday morning the 16th Instant.

Page 01 | Page 02 | Page 03 | Page 04 | Page 05 | Page 06 | Previous | Page 08 |
Next | Page 10 | Page 11 | Back to Articles |

© 2021 by Malcolm Qualtrough, Elizabeth Feisst and the late John Karran Qualtrough.
Hosted by Ask Web Design, Isle of Man.